Final Fantasy V (ファイナルファンタジーV Fainaru Fantajī V) is the fifth installment in the Final Fantasy series Square, originally released for the Nintendo Super Famicom. The game was ported to the Sony PlayStation, and this version was eventually translated and marketed in North America and Europe as part of the Final Fantasy Anthology collection. Final Fantasy V was later released for the GBA, as part of the Finest Fantasy for Advance compilation. The Final Fantasy anime, Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals, serves as a sequel to the events depicted in the game.
There are five main playable characters, of which one of them is replaced by a permanent member further in the storyline.
- Bartz Klauser (バッツ・クラウザー; Battsu Kurauzā) is an adventurer and the 'main character' (only because he is the first person the player controls, and he is often 'representative' of the party). He becomes embroiled in the adventure at the very beginning, when he comes upon the crash site of a meteor with his Chocobo, Boko, and meets Lenna.
- Lenna Charlotte Tycoon (レナ・シャルロット・タイクーン; Rena Sharurotto Taikūn) is of the princess archetype, and meets Bartz at the meteor. She is the daughter of Tycoon's King.
- Galuf Doe (ガラフ・ドウ Garafu Dou) is a mysterious old man. He is discovered unconscious at the meteorite with amnesia. His past is initially unknown but is revealed later in the game. His full name is Galuf Halm Baldesion (ガラフ・ハルム・バルデシオン; Garafu Harumu Barudeshion).
- Faris Scherwiz (ファリス・シュヴィルツ; Farisu Shuvirutsu) is a pirate whose ship the party uses to travel, at first. The party meets up with Faris when they try to sneak aboard her ship. During the first portion of the game, Faris disguises herself with her hair and clothing as a man. She has a connection with Lenna that is later revealed.
- Krile Mayer Baldesion (クルル・マイア・バルデシオン; Kururu Maia Barudeshion) is the granddaughter of Galuf, and aids the party several times. Later in the game, she takes Galuf's place in the party.